A dedicated OB-GYN who has practiced medicine for more than 58 years
Dr. Joseph Murad is a private practitioner specializing in Obstetrics and Gynecology in Greenville, NC. He received his M.D. from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, NC and went on to an OB-GYN residency at Watts Hospital in Durham, NC. At the personal request of the Department of the Army, he left his residency to serve in U.S. Army hospitals in Arizona, California and Virginia. He rose to the rank of Major. After serving his time in the Army, he returned to North Carolina and opened his private practice in 1965.
Why Dr. Murad was nominated:
- Dr. Murad has delivered an estimated 15,000 babies across the country!
- He gives a new meaning to the word “care” – not only being up-to-date on what care is appropriate, but consistently taking the time to explain issues to patients with photos, charts or his own drawings.
- He is known for a combination of passion, knowledge and a reassuring bedside manner.
- Dr. Murad is committed to putting his patients first – and this has made the community of Greenville, NC a better place to live.
- He is known for never turning away a patient on the basis of payment.
- He has volunteered his time, free of charge, to his local community health clinic for 50 years.
Joseph Murad is truly outstanding – professional, dedicated, thorough and caring. His selfless dedication to his career and patients enables him to continue working when he could have retired many years ago. The quality time that he spends with each patient – along with his calm and intellectually confident nature – encourages trust and the utmost respect. Like fine wine, he gets better with age.”
In Dr. Murad’s own words:
What does being a doctor mean to you?
It means being a part of the most honorable profession there is. I’ve had the blessing of being a part of the miracle of birth – and of helping those same individuals I delivered enjoy long, healthy and active lives.”
Can you tell us about your community involvement or volunteer work?
I manage the Obstetrics clinic at the local Health Department one day per week on a volunteer basis. I also volunteer as an on-call Emergency Room physician at Pitt Memorial Hospital. Additionally, I am a volunteer softball coach for the Pitt County Girls Softball League, St. Peter’s Catholic School and the Pitt County Rockets.”
How would you use the award money?
My wife, who is my office manager, has made it her goal to identify families in need throughout Pitt County and assist them through life-altering challenges. I would give her the money to help these families.”